Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Pritam & Anu Malik, the copycats...

Inspired from previous post about Pritam's music being great to listen to only after learning he is a copycat.

I've been keeping up with what I've learn about his songs being copied from other languages. Some of the songs that were "inspired" from English music, I knew about. When I used to post videos on YouTube, I would get comments letting me know that some songs I posted were copied and then have a link with the original song.

If any of the links are broken, just let me know. I'll re-add links. Majority of links are from YouTube.

These are just a few!!!! I'm tired! LOL

PRITAM

Bhool Bhulaiya


"Allah Hafiz"
Egyptian singer, Amr Diab - "
Awedony"

"
Harre Raam Harre Krishna"
Korean rap group, JTL - "
My Lecon"
(couldn't find the video, found a fan video instead)


Dhoom

"Shikdum"
Turkish singer Turkan,"Sikdim"

Fight Club
"Chhoren Ki Baatein"
Pakistani singer, Ali Zafar - "Channo Ki Aankh"
"Joshilay Jawan Ho"
Egyptian singer, Ehab Tawfik - "Allah Aleik Ya Seidi"

Gangster

"Bheegi Bheegi"
Bengali singer, Moheener Ghoraguli - "Prithibi Ta Naki"

"Lamha Lamha"
Pakistani singer, Waris Baig - "Kal Shab Dekha Maine"

"Tu Hi Meri Shab Hai"
German New Age group, Oliver Shanti & Friends - "Sacral Nirvana"

"Ya Ali"
Arabic singer, Guitara (could not find much info on her) - "Ya Ghali"

Garam Masala

"Chori Chori"
Punjabi singer, Balwinder Safri - "Hai Rabba"
No YouTube video but link to site to listen

"Dil Samandur"
Turkish singer, Tarkan - "Kuzu Kuzu"

Life in a Metro
"Baatein Kuch Ankahee"
Korean singer, Seo Yu-seok - "Ah Reum Dah"

"O Meri Jaan"
Egyptian singer, Amr Diab - "Ba'ed El Layali"

Jab We Met

"Aao Milo Chalo"
Indonesian band, Peterpan -"Di Belakanku"

"Yeh Ishq Hai"
Indonesian singer who sings French, Angunn - "Etre Une Femme"

Pyaar Ke Side Effects

"Jaane Kya"
Pakistani singer, Hadia Kiyani - "Mahi"

"Tell Me Is This Love"
Flamenco Latin band, Wenacosa, based in Dubai but originally from Santiago, Chile - "A Mi Manera (My way)"

Race

"Pehli Nazar Mein"
Korean singer Kim Hyung from the Kdrama soundtrack,
Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang "Sarang Hae Yo"

"Zara Zara Touch Me"
Taiwanese singer Wang Lee-Hom, "Deep in Bamboo Forest"

Woh Lamhe

"Chal Chale"
Austrailan band, The Seekers - "A World of Our Own"

"Kya Mujhe Pyaar Hai"
Indonesian band, Peterpan - "Tak Bisakah"

Anu Malik

Ishq

"
Neend Churayi Meri "
Latino-American group, Linear - "Sending All My Love"

Jaanam Samjha Karo

"
I Was Made For Loving You " - watch 3:10 to 9:08
Metal American band, KISS - "I Was Made For Loving You"
Listen to the beat and chorus

Murder

"Bheegey Hont Tere"
Pakistani singer, Najam Sheraz - "Menu Tere Nal"
I wasn't able to find a YouTube clip but you could listen to the original on the page but you have to check the correct song

"Jaane Jaana"
Bengali singer, Miles - "Firiey Dao"

">"Kaho Na Kaho"
Egyptian singer, Amr Diab - "Tamaly Mak"

Zeher

"Agar Tum Mil Jao"
Pakistani singer, Tassawar Khanum - "Agar Tum Mil Jao"

"Woh Lamhe"
Pakistani band, Jal - "Woh Lamhe"

Ram Laxman

I wanted to mention Maine Pyar Kiya because I noticed the similarities when I first saw the film.

Maine Pyar Kiya

"Aate Jaate "
American singer, Stevie Wonder - "I Just to Say I Love You"

"Mere Rang Mein "
American rock group, Europe - "Final Coutdown"

"Tu Ladki Ho "
Italian New Wave group, Baltimora - "Tarzan Boy"

More from Bloggers taken from comments section.

TheBollywoodFan

Chocolate

"Bheega Bheega December"
Original by Abrar-ul-Haq (Pakistan)
Copy by Pritam in Chocolate

"Zhreeli Raatein"
Original titled Aadat by Jal the Band (Pakistan); this is Aatif Aslam's former band, of course.
Copy by Pritam in Chocolate.

Darshit

Auzaar

Copy - " I love you"
Original - "Allah Hoo" - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Copy - "Mera Piya Ghar Aaya"
Original - "Mera Piya Ghar Aaya" - Nusrat Saab

Akele Hum Akele Tum

Copy - 'Dil mera churaya kyon"
Original - "Last Christmas"

Imienazwisko

What is love song from The Genteleman movie:
original What is love:
Mann song
some italian hit


Veracious gave great link to more "inspirations" - http://www.itwofs.com/

14 comments:

Bollywood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dunkdaft said...

Nahiiinnnnnnnnnn........
This is a *shock* to me. Usually when I find my fav song is a copy, my liking goes downwards. And here.........

Lamha Lamha
Baatein Kuch Ankahee
Aao Milo Chalo
Yeh Ishq Hai [most shocking, though I knew this could be a korean/chinese composition]
Jaane Kya [**faint]
Tell Me is This Love [once I proposed a girl with this !!] :-D [and I knew it was not gonna happen :D ]
Chal Chale [oh.........no]

And how about 'Mauja Hi Mauja' as 'Wherever Whenever [shakira]'??

These all were my favorite. Thank God, In Dino...[Metro] is not on the list ! On the other side, I feel that inspiration is not that bad. Its just transformation of music in another language, given it is done well, na?

Anu Malik:
Add 'I love you' [Auzaar] based on 'Allah Hoo' [Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan]
'Mera Piya Ghar Aaya' based on Nusrat Saab's same song.
'Last Christmas' copied as 'Dil mera churaya kyon [akele hum..]
And many more


@tBF I always wonder, why pak bands *rock* a bigtime? I enjoy music of Jal,Call and Strings. Also Atif as a single singer, is my favorite.

And yeah, Mithoon is one to look forward to. His Anwar was mesmerizing and Bas Ek Pal too. And Amit Trivedi, is simply outstanding. And how about Sandesh Shandilya? He is so underrated and not much work is given to him.

Awesome work Nicki keep the 'Tehelka' coming, like this.

veracious said...

A great source for these sort of thefts is: http://www.itwofs.com/

It also catalogues similarities that are not downright ripping off but similar songs nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

Check how Anu Malik copy:
What is love song from The Genteleman movie: http://radioreloaded.com/tracks/?1522
original What is love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCXZczTQXo

Mann song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwLyRO0ORE0
some italian hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlOO-EkdTCM

Gosh, this guy just takes too mauch inspirations from other musicians:P

ajnabi said...

You know, I don't care about inspiration derived from older works; art is cannibalistic and that's the way the world turns. But when they're a straight-up rip-off with no credit (or $$$) given to the original artist it just pisses me off. Great post Nicki!

BB said...

I don't really agree that Anu Malik copycats, but Pritam is just so blatantly obvious. Kind of makes me feel guilty for loving soundtracks like JWM's. =X

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

This post could be a site into itself (great link from Veracious- thanks!)! there is so so much out there. RD Burman used to copy all the time- though he made all his copies rock (I cant find fault in RD) :D

bollywooddeewana said...

I really can't blame all the music directors for copying, when one sees the huge amount of releases in a year in Bollywood + the amount of movies they have to score for, its no wonder these music directors look for inspiration elsewhere, the only problem is that they don't give credit.

This site has the full list of plagiarised tracks according to Musical directors + the original sources

http://www.itwofs.com/

Bollywood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dunkdaft said...

@tBF: oh yes, Boondh is awesome. I have that. And yeah, Junoon, I remember how they swept all charts in India when they were here. Though I have to get my hands on Vital Signs. And by that, how about a solo singer- Ali Haider? Ahh..those were golden days of IndoPak music scene.

Nicki said...

theBollywoodFan - Thanks! I will link yours up too on this post. The whole film, Chocolate was a remake too of the The Usual Suspects - I saw both and saw similiarities but it's been a while so I can't really compare.

So far, not sure about The Train and Aggar but will look it up.

Darshit - You're very welcome!

I was shocked with a lot of the songs too. YouTube is an awesome source when I found out. That's how I learn. No kidding.

veracious - thanks for the link, will post

iminenzwisko - Thanks! I will put those links up!!

ajnabi - I'm all with you on that. I'm okay with remakes of ANYTHING - AS LONG AS CREDIT is given. People down Hollywood on remaking Asian films but they give CREDIT!

BB - I think Anu Malik copies. Especially when I first heard the Ishq song and Linear's...that was my fave song growing up

Shweta - Thanks! I heard about RD too. I am going to link that from veraciouis.

bollywooddeewana - well, that's the problem I have. Give *CREDIT* - that's all.

Anonymous said...

Nicky, check out this one: http://edidin.blox.pl/2007/03/Matko-No-az-mnie-wcielo-D.html

Some oldie:)

Nicki said...

Thanks imienazwisko - can't see at work but will check it and edit post. :)

Anonymous said...

Look what happens when you listen more carefully :)
Is there any song which was never copied?