Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

Look Bollywood movies being sold at the Hmong New Years

Trying to make this post stick to Indian Cinema theme :)

And sharing some Hmong culture (for those who don't have Facebook)

Wow, this year has really gone by so quickly, hasn't it? Next Thursday is Thanksgiving.

Next thing you know, it'll be Christmas than 2010. It's kinda scary if you think about it. Time is going by so quickly.

I've been preoccupied and lazy. I've started making screencaps on six dvds. Yes, six. Yet, I have not finish even one! Haha.

This past weekend was the Hmong New Years. My parents are in charge of the annual event. My dad says he is going to retire from chairman but will continue to help out with planning.

In the past, I usually attend the Hmong New Years just to play volleyball. However, I'm getting older and need to chill and relax. I promised my hubby I wouldn't play competitively anymore (so that means the New Years too, the injuries lately!). Besides, I could focus more on the other activities at the New Years.

Because I usually miss out the early events, I was able to see the annual ribbon cutting.


My friend's cousins dancing.


Random pics of food vendor. What usually is sold at the New Years is a plate of purple sticky rice with either chicken, fish, ribs, or sausage. You could also buy papaya salad, bubble tea, pho, rice rolls, egg rolls, sesame balls, and more!


Yummy fruits.


Movie vendor.


Let's take a closer look. You see Bollywood? Well, there were more but just took a pic of one. There are more Korean dvds to choose from though. To be fair, I only took a pic of this vendor. A lot of Bollywood films are dubbed in Hmong, but not the one below. The ones that are dub will actually have Hmong titles.


Yep, we, Hmong people, love some Bollywood. And Korean. And Thai. And Hong Kong. We just love movies, in general.

I'm hoping to finish taking screencaps of at least one complete movie soon and by this weekend, have my regular review :)

4 comments:

ajnabi said...

This looks like so much fun! I'm not surprised to see Bollywood movies since you talked about your parents watching while you were growing up.

Love the pics of people in traditional dress. And now I want a plate of purple sticky rice!

Nicki said...

ajnabi - next time I make the purple sticky rice, I'll post it, hehehe.

More and more Hmong families are watching more Korean movies nowadays though. There's only a handful who still watches Bollywood. It's the pretty boys, I tell you, that's what they like.

Thanks for checking out the pics

tagskie - Thanks! I will check out your blog

How to seduce a woman said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my research work. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

aiyush said...

Priyank Sharma Bigg Boss 11 Wiki Details
Singer Akash Dadlani Details
Arshi Khan Wiki Details & Scandal