Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Meenakshi Sheshadri - How dare I forget her! 80s-90s star I love!

Special thanks to bollywooddeewana for reminding about the unforgettable, awesomeness of Meenakshi Sheshadri.

A few days ago, I blogged about stars that I miss from the 80s & 90s era. Because I ended with 10 stars on that list, my mind just focused on them. How dare I forget Meenaksi Sheshadri!!!!

Therefore, this post will be dedicated to the one, the only, Meenakshi Sheshadri

Born as Shashikala Seshadri, she grew up in Delhi even though her parents are from Tamil Nadu. At 18-years-old, she won the Miss India 1981. A year after, she made her Bollywood debut with Painter Babu. Definitely one of the most underrated actress and classical dancer in Bollywood, most people only remember in her a few memorable films -- Hero with Jackie Shroff, Meri Jung with Anil Kapoor, Ghaayal, with Sunny Deol & Damini, Rishi Kapoor.

Ever since I saw her debut film, Painter Babu, I looooooved her! I called her by her character name, Renu, for a while before I learned her real name. She was absolutely stunning and gorgeous. Her facial expressions when dancing captures your attention and heart. The emotions she portrayed turned me into a fan. When she was crying, I felt her pain and cried with her.

After making her last film, Ghathak, she settled down and married software engineer, Harish Mysore, in which she met "love at first sight." They moved to the United States to settle down.

Now, her family consists of her husband and two children -- daughter, Kendra & son, Sanjosh.

Although she decided not to return back to films, she continued to embrace in her other love, classical dancing. Living in Texas, USA, Meenakshi teaches Bharatanatyam, Kathak and Odissi.

Meenakshi, you are still loved and missed. If there is a slim chance we get to see you again on the big screen, I will not hesitate at all to watch the film.

Meenakshi with her daughter, Kendra.

Meenakshi with her daughter, Kendra.

Meenakshi with her parents.

15 comments:

ajnabi said...

Wouldn't it be flipping awesome to be in her dancing school? Of course, I imagine a third of her students have no idea who she is, but still. Awesome post Nicki!

Bhargav Saikia said...

Awesome! I remember watching her films when I was very very little. LOL! Where did you find those pictures?

bollyviewer said...

O My! She still looks gorgeous. I do hope she makes it back into films - she was a pretty good actress and an excellent dancer.

bollywooddeewana said...

Nicki fab post, where do you get all your pics from, i saw a movie of hers just yesterday and i do agree with you, she is such a fab dancer indeed. Meenakshi i love you and if you do decide to come back make sure its a great strong role

cmleigh said...

Thanks Nicki, now I have to go find her movies. :D

Nicki said...

ajnabi - Thanks so much. I know; I do believe most of her students don't really know who she is. I hope you get to watch some of her films in the future :)

Bhargav - isn't she awesome? Shoot, I think I was searching and saved them, will have to get back with you on that.

bollyviewer - Yes, she's still gorgeous. I think she's one of the most underrated actress and dancers.

bollywooddeewana - I want her to come back too!

cmleigh - hope you get to watch at least one!

Ranjani said...

Omg!! You are indeed unique, I've never come across any non Indian that is so obsessed with B'wood! This is v v cool, I'm amazed you have the patience to sit through all those cheesy story lines and dance nos. :))

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post Nicki-ji! I just watch Awaargi (1990) last night, which is my first Meenakshi film. I love discovering "new" actresses/actors and look forward to seeing all her films and now I know I can discuss them with you! Maybe we'll have to go down to Texas to find her and take a class and then go out for some chai.
All the best!
Sita-ji

Unknown said...

I saw Meenakshi once in 1992 when I was posted in Agra. She had come there to perform Odissi during Taj Mahotsava. She was flawless and sooo beautiful to look at.

Anonymous said...

is this article abt meenakshi ji true?
http://www.exbii.com/showthread.php?s=b5433a909a87488dfaa755b27b4cc118&t=47716

Anonymous said...

is this article abt meenakshi ji true?
http://www.exbii.com/showthread.php?s=b5433a909a87488dfaa755b27b4cc118&t=47716

Anonymous said...

She is a complete actor, I have seen most of her movies and she is outstanding and is sure underrated. She deserved a lot more recognistion and appreciation, She was so perfect. Definitely looking forward to see her sometime in future.

Sudheer said...

I Sudheer L Sharma really like her and i would like to high lite a movie of her in telugu APADBANDHAVUDU with Chiranjeevi its great film.

KURIDI VENKAT said...

hi Meenakshi,
you in the movie aapadbandhavudu with Annyya Chiranjeevi was a great movie.

Shwethascar said...

Can you please let me know what her dance school is called? I live in Dallas and would love to learn under her.