Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu - Gautham Menon does it again!



After Kakkha Kakkha and Vaaranam Aayiram, I wanted to see Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu. Thanks to Sita-ji who commented about Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu. Having Kamal, Jyothika, Kamalinee, and Prakash in one film? That'll be awesome!



Guatham Menon is really talented too.



Like Kakkha Kakkha, Guatham works on another type of police story.



Raghavan (Kamal Haasan) is a hardworking cop. One of his former cop and friend, Arokiyaraj (Prakash Raj) ask him to help him find his daughter, Rani's murderer. Sadly, Rani's body is found but no suspects yet. In the meantime, Arokiyaraj and his wife re-locates to New York City, where Rani wanted to go live. Nine months later, Raghavan learns that Arokiyaraj and his wife are brutally murdered. Raghavan heads out to New York City to investigate. While reminiscing about the recent killings, Raghavan remembers his late wife Kayalvizhi's (Kamalinee Mukerjee) terrifying death. When settling in New York City, he learns there is some connection with their deaths and Rani's, along with several more deaths. There is a serial killer on the loose.



A bit surprise to see Kamal Hassan credited as Dr. Kamal Haasan (with two a's)



Raghavan is one hell-of-a-cop. One of the best.



Kamal Hassan is one really good, underrated actor. The first film I've ever seen of his was Ek Duje Ke Liye and became a fan. I have to admit that I didn't get to watch many of his films because during that time -- South Indian films were not very accessible for me. Plus I was younger and didn't know much about it either. He has a long filmography and hope to see more of his films.



Arokiyaraj and his wife. Losing a child is very hard, especially if it's your only child.



Prakash Raj only had a short role, but very significant. I swear, I see him in almost every Southie film now! He's awesome!



Rani, Arokiyaraj's daughter. I think she is so cute. I have no idea who the actress is. Anyone knows?



Kayalvizhi, wife of Raghavan.




Kamalinee is one of my all-time favorite South Indian actresses. I've loved her in every film I've seen so far - Anand, Godavari, & Happy Days. I do have Gamyam & Classmates but haven't watched it yet. Can't wait!



Aradhana and Raghavan meet in New York City. He saves her and she re-thinks about her life.



Jyothika is very natural. I absolutely love her. In some scenes, she had too much makeup on, which I dislike because she has natural beauty.



The two pyschopath killers. I wish that the movie wouldn't reveal the killers until much later and make it more of a thriller.



Amudhan is one of the killers. Daniel Balaji does an awesome job. He is so good that he scares me.



Ilamaran is the other killer. Saleem Baig is the more passive villian, meaning he wasn't as ruthless as Amudhan and had more of a heart. In some scenes, he reminded me of Dino Morea.



I really like the soundtrack. Got me wanting to get up and dance.



Song #1 - "Karka Karka"
Life of Raghavan









Song #2 - "Paartha Mudhal Naale"
Memories of Raghavan's wife, Kayalvizhi











Song #3 - "Vennilave Velli Velli Nivale"
Raghavan & Aradhana hang out







Song #4 - "Neruppac Sikki Mukki Neruppae"
Villians hang out with girls
(the two main girls being famous item girl, Mumaith Khan & her sister, Zabyn Khan)









Watch Below



Song #5 - "Uyirilae Enathu Uyirilac"
Raghavan & Aradhana in love







I am soooo mesmerized by the banyan tree. First time I've ever seen one was in Miami. Just looking at how different and exotic the trees looked, I forgot that the tree originally is from India. According to Wikipedia, the banyan tree aka Indian Fig Tree is the National tree of India.





Funny that I wasn't able to find a picture of the dvd for Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu. Only found the Telugu-dubbed version. It's called Raghavan.



Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu, the Tamil version, or Raghavan, the Telugu-dubbed version is definitely worth watching. Although I felt the film could have been shorten a bit, not disappointed at all.

6 comments:

bollywooddeewana said...

Kamal Hassan is great indeed, you should check him out in some of his well known hindi flicks such as Saagar with Rishi Kapoor and Dimple kapadia also check him out in Sadma with Sridevi, which is often hailed as one of her best performances

Anonymous said...

Nicki, thanks for the shout out!
Ditto on Prakash Raj! I love Raj as much as Mamooty and Arvind Swamy, as far as more manly southie heros, while I also love Madhaven, I think of him as more of a pretty boy. Thanks for reminding me about the film. Hassan and Joythika were great.

@ Bollywooddeewana (HI!) I've seen Sadma and Sagar, and remember while watching Sagar thinking how Hassan really stole the show form Rishi and Dimple, and it was really considered her comeback film, right? He was great in that! And in Sadma, I remember that beginning beach party scene with Sridevi grooving out. Did you see Dasavatharam?

Thanks for the write up Nicki! All the best!
Sita-ji

Anonymous said...

p.s. I need to see those other Menon movies you blogged on now too, Kakkha Kakkha and Vaaranam Aayiram,

Anonymous said...

p.p.s.
I liked your banyan tree comments too! Also, I wondered about the movie's title and came across this blog post, finding it means something like "hunter and hunted"

http://jaiarjun.blogspot.com/2006/10/kamal-haasan-and-vettaiyaadu.html

All the best!
Sita-ji

ajnabi said...

This looks really interesting. Oh dear, my Southie list will soon be as long as my Hindi list!

Nicki said...

bollywooddeewana - It's been a while since I've seen Saagar and Sadma. I agree that he is soooo good. Love him!

Sita-ji - No problem, just showing you some love!

I hope you get to find Kakkha Kakkha and Vaaranam Aayiram. PS - Surya is a hottie!!!

Thanks for that blog link, going to look at it. Banyan trees are so beautiful. I want one!!

ajnabi - Yes, I know, my list is endless! :)