Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

Hmong-copied/dubbed versions of Bollywood songs & movies - that's how I got into Bollywood

Finally I found the Hmong versions that copied/dubbed/whatever-you-wanna-call-it Bollywood songs.

On this post, I did mention about growing up watching Hmong-dubbed Bollywood films. However, I never given examples or gone into details about the Bollywood inspiration on one Hmong CD I loved growing up.

However, Piyaara tweeted about a Chinese influenced Bollywood song. Then I thought, wow, Hmong people have done that too!

So I went searching for it, I finally found it. I listened to that album growing up. At that time, I never knew it was Bollywood music until my mom told me.
Just wanted to share videos that I found on YouTube uploaded by haezel. User found the right songs that Hmong people copied and put them together. Looks very interesting!! Remember, the Hmong-dubbed versions are only the songs, not videos.

"COG LUS" - SY LIS & LIS VAJ
Cog lus literally means remember when....
Sy Lis & Lis Vaj are both written in Hmong. In English, it would be written as See Lee & Lee Vang


This is the actual video and song
"Kya Hua Tera Vaada" - Hum Kisise Kum Naheen


"YOG MUAJ WB" : LIS VAJ & SY LIS
Yog Muaj Wb literally means if only us


This is the actual video and song
"Kora Kagaz Tha Man Mera" - Aradhana


"TUS UAS YEEJ KUV LUB SIAB" - Lis Vaj
Tus uas yeej kuv lub siab literally means You are the one still in my heart


This is the actual video and song
"Chura Liya Hai" - Yaadon Ki Baraat


This is uploaded by mr3ggroll
"Yuav nrog koj tiv tshav tiv nag"
Yuav nrog koj tiv tshav tiv nag literally means will be with you through sun and rain


This is the actual video and song
"Humko Humise Chura Lo" - Mohabbatein


Of course, I got into Bollywood films because many were dubbed in Hmong. Here's an example of what I've found on YouTube.

Hmong-dubbed Bollywood film, Tum Mero Ho **ing Aamir Khan & Juhi Chawla


All these Hmong dubbed, what about actual Hmong videos and songs? Here goes....

Hmong duet wearing traditional Hmong outfits & Karaoke style
"Nkauj Toj Siab Nraug Hauv Nroog" - Suab Nag & Kos Lis


If you're still clueless about Hmong poeple, try watching Clint Eastwood's movie, Gran Torino. Although I don't think it's a great representation of Hmong people, it'll give some introduction.



8 comments:

dunkdaft said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dunkdaft said...

My mistake My mistake. I thought all are copies, but now i realized they are cover versions :P

Bhargav Saikia said...

Interesting! Thanks for the vids :-)

Tiff said...

So far I've just watched the cover of Chura Liya Hai...I like it, plus I never get tired of the video. Zeenat Aman looks gorgeous. I'm gonna check out the rest now.

I love your blog btw :).

Nicki said...

Thanks everyone for reading

Vinod Rajagopal said...

Ok.. i'm in love with your blog :)

Nicki said...

Aaaww thanks Vinod!

Unknown said...

Hi, I was wondering if you knew the hmong title to the movie "Woh Saat Din" with Padmini Kolhapure and Anil Kapoor? I just realized that she is the same girl in "Ahista Ahista" and until today, I did not know the real title to "Ahista Ahista". So, on my internet surfing adventure, I would like to find the hmong dubbed version of "Woh Saat Din" please if you know. Thanks :D